Lamb Rogan Josh was the very first Indian meal we ever made at home. Just one taste in a restaurant and I knew I had to make it at home. Over the years we’ve made many variations, but instant pot lamb rogan josh is by far the simplest.
Making Lamb Rogan Josh on the stovetop requires a lot of advanced preparation, and multiple steps as different ingredients are added in stages. This super simple recipe from The Indian Instant Pot Cookbook has just two steps. First, marinade the meat, and then put everything into the instant pot to cook.
The marinade is a mixture of yogurt, onion, tomato paste and spices. A tiny bit of cayenne adds spice, and cinnamon and Garam Masala add warmth. Mix the chopped lamb meat into the marinade and allow the flavors to infuse for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
When you’re ready to cook, pour the entire mixture, marinade and all into the instant pot. Seal the pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow the pot to naturally depressurize before serving.
To serve, strain out the excess juices and mix with a bit of extra yogurt (about 1/4 cup). Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice.
This recipe for instant pot lamb rogan josh is adapted from the Indian Instant Pot Cookbook.
Looking for new ideas for preparing lamb? We highly recommend these tasty dishes! They’re among our favorites!
- Lebanese Eggs with Lamb & Pine Nuts
- Cauliflower Stew with Lamb
- Lebanese Lamb Stew with Eggplant
- Lamb Vindaloo
- Lamb Dhansak
- Turkish Sauteed Spiced Lamb
- Persian Lamb & Rhubarb Stew
- Turkish Lamb & Apricot Stew
- Icelandic Lamb Soup
- Steamed Lamb Dumplings
Instant Pot Lamb Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry)
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric ground
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ground
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound leg of lamb boneless and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- cilantro to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients (except the lamb) in a large bowl. Add the lamb and give the mixture a quick stir to thoroughly coat the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate the mixture for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
- Transfer the lamb mixture, including the marinade, into an instant pot cooking pot inside the pressure cooker.
- Lock the lid in place, move the valve to sealed and select manual cook, high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle completes, allow the pot to depressurize naturally.
- To serve, strain out the excess juices and mix with a bit of extra yogurt (about 1/4 cup). Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice.